Tuesday, September 18, 2007

River City Roots Festival



Another "Top Ten Experience"...
Musically, I feel very blessed. Not in my musical talents (because I have
none) but in my musical appreciation and the musical experiences I have been able to have with my family and close friends. It was difficult to attend a music festival without Mackenzie being part of it, but I felt like his "musical appreciation spirit" was there.
This weekend, Spencer Grigg and I made our way to Missoula, Montana (about a
6 hour drive from Moses Lake) to attend the River City Roots Music Festival.
The main attraction and headliner was a wonderful bluegrass band called Hot Buttered Rum.
Friday and Saturday other band performed including some of my new favorites of the festival, "The Mammals" and "Broken Valley Road Show". However, for me, Hot Buttered Rum lived up to my expectations on Sunday night. The stage was setup on Main Street and about 2500 of our closest friends gathered around for the gig. Spencer and I were front and center wearing our tie dye shirts and sporting the laid back attitude required to attend the show. I was enjoying the music of the concert when a transient standing next to me said "well old hippie... what do you think of the next generation?" I looked around and became very aware that the age of the average concert goer was about 20 years old. I leaned over and let Spencer know of my newly acquired information. He in turn quoted Jerry Garcia and said... "We're just Old and In The Way".
It is now Tuesday, I'm home, back to work, and the weekend seems at times just a distant memory. However in looking at Hot Buttered Rum's website, I found a picture they posted of the show that brought back some memories.
http://www.hotbutteredrum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2296
&Itemid=45
As a matter of journalizing, and specifically for my recollection, I am including a copy of their set list:
Pay Your Dues (The Woes And The Lows), Amanda Lynn, Idaho Pines, Always Be The Moon, In These Parts, Blue Night*, Right Between Your Eyes, Rebecca, Brokedown, Backrooms Of My Mind, Spider, New Speedway Boogie, Jackmormon Mother, Summertime Gal, Firefly, Swing & Sway, Sweet Honey Fountain
Encore: Birds And The Bees, Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
* w/ Grace Decker (The Broken Valley Roadshow) on fiddle.

3 comments:

Kindall Klan said...

how fun craig! I'm going to try to be as hip as you as I turn into an "old guy" :)

Kevin said...

I was at mom's today listening to a little Niel Diamond....I'm sorry but Hot butter Rum does not even compare.

I have to admit that I like the beads. It reminds me of the ones grandma used to have (without the bear).

I'm anxious to come back to ML and see what there is new.

Peace brother!

christy jensen said...

Nice outfit big brother! Where's the do-rag?