Saturday, November 10, 2007

Oakley Goes To State !

By beating the Council Lumberjacks 27-24 last night, the Oakley Hornets advance to the 1A state championship for a chance at their first title since 1985. Kevin called my cell phone with 34 seconds left in the game to give me the news. They will play in the Mini-dome in Pocatello next weekend.
Good luck to the Hornets! We all know the reason for their success lies entirely with the cheerleading squad.... Go Kylee & Kelby! However, Crawford & Judy Jones' grandson at quarterback may have had some influence.
Speaking of Oakley, here is some "FYI" about our home town.
Oakley was named for William Oakley, the proprietor of a townsite known as Oakley Meadows. Oakley has served as home to a surprising number of famous Americans. David B. Haight, former member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was born in Oakley. The current Governor of Utah, and the former Governor of Massachusetts can trace their stock to Oakley. Governor Jon Huntsman of Utah is the grandson of David Haight, and Mitt Romney (US Presidential hopeful) is the son of another famous Oakley-ite, George Romney. Yet another Oakley Romney, Marion G. Romney, was a Councilor in the First Presidency of the church.
Oakley is also rich in old west lore, such as the tale of Diamondfild Jack (the jail that housed Jack is in the city park) and the story of Gobo Fango who's grave is one of my favorite to visit in the Oakley Cemetery.
This tiny town has turned out leaders in politics, business, and entertainment....not bad for a town of 700 people. The town is also home to current Idaho's Assistant House Majority Leader Scott Bedke (Sarah Jones' husband), and syndicated radio talk show personality Steven Mitton (my cousin).
Oakley has become recognized world-wide for its Middle Mountain quarries of Rocky Mountain quartzite building stone known as "Oakley Stone". Quarry operators ship out thousand of tons a month to locations around the globe. Deb's relatives own the Oakley Valley Stone Co. where her mom and sister-in-law work.
Last but not least we can't forget the world famous "Clark's for Shopping" and the Searl's chicken sandwich.

7 comments:

mom and dad said...

WOW Craig, very impresive. You know your stuff. Thanks for bragging us up. Love mom

Earl Family said...

Craig. Very interesting I must say. I didn't even know half of that info. Thanks for making me homesick.
Haven't talked to you in a long while. Hope all is well with you. Can't wait to see you next month. I am getting closer and closer to having this baby. I am sure the pickle company will be sad - seeing's how I go through a jar of pickles a day. But we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Abigail. Start working on the nickname. Love You...KK

Fairbank Family said...

Thanks for the Oakley info! Funny how you can live there for 18 years and never know these little details!

The Walkers said...

Hey Craig,
This is Kara. I have such fond memories of Oakley...you just made me wish it was my hometown. Can I be an honerary member maybe??? :) There are two really cool people that were born and raised in Boise that I can think of...Howard W Hunter and me! :)

Unknown said...

thanks for the info Craig - I can just see you in 30 years wearing polyester sans-a-belt slacks giving unsuspecting tourists a grand tour of Oakley - 'course that means you would have to move back here!

christy jensen said...

Love the post Craig. You made me remember that I should be proud to say I'm from Oakley. I get picked on a lot here in Burley. Lots of "inbred" jokes. :(

Kevin said...

I was disappointed to didn't name the man who made the Wal-Mart Cheer famous. Great Post!! Go Hornets!